施信如教授 Dr. Shin-Ru Shih
Current Appointment:Director/Distinguished Professor, Research Center for Emerging Viral Infections, Chang Gung University, Taiwan
Education： Ph.D. Graduate Program in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Rutgers University, the State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey, U.S.A.
Specialties：Clinical Virology、Biotechnology、Molecular Biology、Biochemistry
TEL：(03) 211-8800 ext. 5497
Shin-Ru Shih got her bachelors degree in Medical Biotechnology and masters degree in Biochemistry from National Taiwan University, and her Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from Rutgers University, USA. Since 1996, she established a molecular virology laboratory in Chang Gung University and the Research Center for Emerging Viral Infections in 2008. Her team has been studying many aspects of emerging RNA viruses, including identification of unknown viruses using novel biotechnologies, mechanisms of pathogenesis and development of antiviral compounds. Their study of EV71 began in 1998, when a large EV71 outbreak occurred in Taiwan. Their participation contributed significantly to the laboratory diagnosis of EV71. They subsequently focused on viral-host interactions, in which molecular targets for drug discovery were identified, and series of compounds were developed that inhibit EV71 replication. Dr. Shih was awarded the National Medal for Outstanding Youth in 2004 for contributing to EV71 research in Taiwan.
Influenza virus is another focus of her team. This research includes molecular surveillance of Taiwanese strains, mechanistic study of host-restriction of influenza virus infection, pathogenesis study and development of anti-flu agents.
Director/Distinguished Professor, Research Center for Emerging Viral Infections, Chang Gung University
Faculty in the Department of Medical Biotechnology and Laboratory Science & Graduate Program of Biomedical Sciences, Chang Gung University
Medical Director, Clinical Virology Laboratory, Department of Clinical Pathology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital
1991-1995 Ph.D. Graduate Program in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Rutgers University, the State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey, U.S.A.
1989-1991 M.S. Department of Biochemistry, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.
1984-1988 B.S. Department of Medical Technology, National Taiwan University
Medical Technologist Licensure
Research and Professional Positions/Appointments:
1995-1996 Postdoctoral Fellow Department of Microbiology, Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ, USA
1996-1997 Lecturer School of Medical Technology, Chang Gung University (CGU), Tao-Yuan, Taiwan
1997-2004 Associate Professor School of Medical Technology & Institute of Basic Medicine, CGU
2003-2009 Chair Department of Medical Biotechnology and Laboratory Science, CGU
2004-2012 Adjunct Investigator Institute of Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Research, National Health Research Institutes
2012-2014 Chair Study section of Microbiology and Medical Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology
2004-present Professor Department of Medical Biotechnology and Laboratory Science/Graduate Program of Biomedical Science, CGU
1999-present Medical Director Clinical Virology LaboratoryChang Gung Memorial Hospital
2003-present Member Committee of Preparedness for Influenza Pandemic, Department of Health (gov.), Taiwan
2006-present Chair Clinical Virology, Professional & Technical Examinations (National) for Medical Technologists, Ministry of Examination, Taiwan
2009-present Director Research Center for Emerging Viral Infections
Certificate of Competence – competent in teaching courses of expertise in English
Graduated Ph.D. students: 20 persons
Dr. Shih-Cheng Chang (Research Director, Department of Clinical Pathology, CGMH); Dr. Jing-Yi Lin (Assistant Professor, Department of Laboratory Science and Medical Biotechnology, National Taiwan University); Dr. Tzu-Chun-Chen (Research Associate, Stanford University); Dr. Chiayn Chiang (Project Leader, Taigen Biotech); Dr. Kuo-Feng Weng (Research Associate, Stanford University), Dr. Chi-Jene Chen (Assistant Professor, China Medical University); Dr. Sherry Hsieh (Chief Researcher, Medigen Vaccinology Corp.); Dr. Peng-Nien Huang (Assistant Professor/Professional Manager for Industrial Cooperation, CGU); Dr. Lilien Chen (FDA), Dr. CH Huang (Assistant Professor, National Defense Medical University); Dr. Chee-Keng Mok (Researcher at National University of Singapore); Dr. Yen-Chin Lui (Assistant Investigator, RCEVI); Arul Balaji Velu (Chief Scientific Officer, Hive Serene PVT.LTD); Dr. Yi-Hsiang Chen, (Chief Manager, Far East Bio-Tec Co. Ltd.) Dr. Yu-An Kung (Assistant Investigator, RCEVI); Dr. Chuan-Tien Hung (postdoc, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai); Dr. Cheng-Kai-Chang (postdoc, National Taiwan University). ; Dr. Po-Tien Hsieh ( UBI Vaccinology Corp.); Dr. Chung-Guei Huang (Director, Department of Clinical Pathology, CGMH); Dr. Sheng-Yu Huang (postdoc, RCEVI)
Trainee in postdoctorial program:
Dr. Mei-Feng Chen (Assistant Researcher, CGMH); Dr. Shu-Ming Kuo (Associate Professor, Pasteur Institute, Shanghai); Dr. Kuo-Ming Lee (AssistantProfessor, RCEVI, CGU); Dr. Yen-Ron Fu (National Taiwan University); Dr. Hsin-Ping Chiu (Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai); Dr. Ami Shih (China Medical University); Pei-Yu Wang; Tsu-Haou Shi
Graduated Master students: 35 persons
Current postdoctoral fellows: 3 persons
Current Ph.D students: 5 persons
Current Master students: 4 persons
Kuo-Feng Weng: Outstanding Master Thesis Award (CGU), 2004
Chiayn Chiang: Outstanding Ph.D. Thesis Award (NSC), 2008
Peng-Nien Huang, Outstanding Master Thesis Award (the first place, CGU), 2008
Chia-Ron Tsai, Creative Research Award for student (NSC, 2011)
Chee-Keng Mok, Outstanding Ph. D. Thesis Award (CGU), 2011
Li-Ting Lin, Outstanding Master Thesis Award (the first place, CGU), 2011
Peng-Nien Huang, Outstanding Ph.D. Thesis Award (CGU), 2112
Shiou-Wen Chen, Outstanding Master Thesis Award (CGU), 2012
Chun-Tien Hung, Outstanding Thesis Award (CGU), 2013
Chien-Shun Lee, Outstanding master Thesis Award (CGU), 2013
Po-Ting Hsieh, Oral Presentation Award (The second place, The 12th Chinese Biomedical Science Symposium, Shanghai), 2013
Hsin-Ju Wang, Outstanding Master Thesis Award (the first place, CGU), 2014
Nien-Shin Shih, Presentation Award, (Taiwanese Association of Medical Technology), 2015
Shen-Yu Huang, Presentation Award (Taiwanese Society for Virology Annual Meeting), 2017
Chuan-Tien Hung, Outstanding Paper Award (Taiwanese Society for Microbiology), 2017.
Sheng-Yu Huang, Outstanding Research Award for Ph.D. students (the second place, CGU, 2018)
Chuan-Tien Hung, Outstanding Paper Award (Taiwanese Society for Microbiology), 2017.
Sheng-Yu Huang, Outstanding Research Award for Ph.D. students (the second place, CGU, 2018)
Yu-An Kung, Outstanding Paper Award (Taiwanese Society for Microbiology), 2018.
Jeff KT Liu, Outstanding Master Thesis Award (the second place, CGU), 2019.
Rei-Ping Wang, Outstanding Master Thesis Award (CGU), 2019.
Wade Lin, Outstanding Master Thesis Award (CGU), 2020.
Interviews by TV and press
Science 101 (Da-Ai TV, Taiwan)
Influenza viruses (National TV, Taiwan)
Cross reactivity of SARS and HTLV (Bloomberg News)
Enteroviruses (National TV, Taiwan)
Human infection by avian influenza virus (Vardfokus -www.vardfokus.se, Sweden)
Control of COVID-19 in Taiwan (Discovery)
Grant Supports (currently):
Source: Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan
Title: Role of acyl-CoA synthetase long-chain family member 4 in picornavirus infection
Role: Principle Investigator
Period: 8/1/2021- 7/31/2024
Source: Ministry of Education & Ministry of Science and Technology
Title: Center for Excellence (Research Center for Emerging Viral Infections)
Role: Principle Investigator
Period: 1/1/2018- 12/31/2022
Source: NIH, USA (integrated project)
Title: United World Antiviral Research Network (UWARN)
Role: Principle Investigator (for a component project)
Period: 1/1/2020- 12/31/2024
Editor of Journal
1997-2006 Assistant Editor, Journal of Biomedicine and Laboratory Science (Taipei)
2003-2006 Executive Guest Editor, Current Pharmaceutical Design (Netherlands)
2005-present Member of the Editorial Board, Biomedical Journal (Taiwan)
2012-2014 Section Editor (positive stranded RNA viruses), Virology Journal (UK)
2009-present Member of the Editorial Board, Microbes and Infection (Paris, France)
2018-2020 Associate Editor, PLoS Pathogens (USA)
2020-present Section Editor for COVID-19, PLoS Pathogens (USA)
PLoS Pathogens, Journal of Virology; Virology; Journal Medical Virology; Journal of Virological Methods; Journal of General Virology; Archives of Virology
FEBS Letter; Nucleic Acids Research; Cellular Microbiology; Journal of Biomedical Sciences
Lancet, Emerging Infectious Diseases; Journal of Infectious Diseases; International Journal of Infectious Diseases; Journal of Clinical Microbiology
Antiviral Research; Microbial Pathogenesis
Nature Communications, PNAS ; Trends in Microbiology; mBio; Science, Nature
Societies and Memberships:
American Society for Microbiology
American Society of Virology
International Society for Antiviral Research
Society of Medical Technologists in Taiwan
Society of Microbiology in Taiwan
International Speeches (invited):
- Sequence Analysis of the Entire Genome of Enterovirus 71 Isolated from the 1998 Outbreak in Taiwan. In 3rd International Symposium on Viral and Chlamydial Infections. 1999.
- Molecular virology study of enterovirus 71 isolated in an epidemic in Chinese Taipei, 1998. In APEC Enteroviral Watch Program for Children Symposium – Enterovirus 71 Epidemic in Asia Pacific Area. 2000.
- The 3C protease activity of enterovirus 71 induced human neural cell apoptosis. In the 9th SCBA International Symposium. 2001.
- Development of anti-EV71 drugs. The Symposium of Enterovirus 71 in Taiwan, Past and Future. Taoyuan, Taiwan. 2003.
- Pyridyl Imidazolidinones: a novel capsid-binder against enterovirus 71. Bio/Pharm 2003 – Opportunities across the Asia Pacific. King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA. 2003.
- Epidemiology of influenza in Taiwan. International Conference on Influenza and the Resurgence of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). Taipei, Taiwan. 2003.
- Surveillance and genetic analysis of human influenza viruses in Taiwan. In APEC Conference on Avian Influenza, Taichung, 2005.
- Sequence variations of influenza A viruses. First Taiwan-Netherlands Workshop on Pathogenomics. Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2006.
- Plasticity of influenza viral genome. Pasteur/NHRI/CDC symposium on re-emerging virus infections. Tainan. 2006;
- Plasticity of influenza viral genome. Pasteur-Asia Virology Course, Hong Kong, 2007. .
- Consensus and diversity of influenza viral RNP genes and their functions. Orchid Meeting, Pasteur Institute, Paris, France, 2008.
- Research on emerging RNA Viruses. Pasteur Institute, Shanghai, China, 2008.
- Molecular diagnosis of influenza viruses. The 15th Chinese Laboratory Medicine Conference, Hong Kong, 2009.
- Convener of the session “Positive Strand RNA Viruses and Host Proteins Interactions”. Annual Meeting of “American Society for Virology”, Vancouver, Canada, 2009
- Genomic signatures of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza virus. Workshop Taiwan-Japan “Host-Pathogen Interaction”. Japan Science and Technology Institute. Kyoto, Japan, 2009.
- Dissecting viral host interactions by an emerging virus - enterovirus 71. 2011 International Symposium on Infectious Diseases, Tainan, 2011.
- Convener of the session “Picornaviruses”. Annual Meeting of “American Society for Virology”, Madison, Wisconsin, USA, 2012.
- Molecular targets for anti-enterovirus 71 drug development. Keynote speaker, The 16th Annual Meeting of Society for Neurovirology, Japan, 2012.
- Viral host interplay in enterovirus 71 infection. Keynote speaker, Frontiers in Biomedical Research, the University of Hong Kong, HK, 2012.
- Viral host interaction in EV71 – infected cells. The 12th Chinese Biomedical Science Symposium, Shanghai, 2013.
- Plasticity of influenza virus. The 31st World Congress Biomedical Laboratory Science, Taipei.2015
- Host factors involved in enterovirus 71 infection, Keystone Symposia (positive strand RNA viruses), Texas, USA, 2016
- Novel machinery for regulation of enterovirus viral translation. HFMD international conference, Singapore, 2016.
- New emerging enterovirus infections, Europic, Geneva, Switzerland, 2016. (Keynote speaker)
- Epidemiology and viral host interactions, enterovirus workshop, NIAID, NIH, USA, 2017
- Enterovirus A-71: from basic to clinical research, Seminar in CIIID, University of Washington, Seattle, USA.
- Genome translation and replication of EV-A71, Europic, Netherlands, 2018 (Keynote speaker)
- Virus and host – basic and clinical researches for COVID-19, Bio Incheon Global Conference, Korea (invited on-line speaker), 2020.
- Developments of diagnostic methods, vaccine and antivirals for COVID-19 in Taiwan. Cold Spring Harbor Asia COVID19/SARS CoV2 Rapid Research Reports (invited on line speaker), 2020.
- Novel serology test for COVID-19. NonaMedicine, EEE international meeting (invited on line speaker), 2021.
Scientific committee for APCMV-2015, Board in Taiwanese Society of Virology, Biosecurity Officer for CGMH BSL3 Laboratory
President, Taiwanese Society for Virology, 2019 – 2021
- The Best Poster Presentation Award. The 3rd Chinese Laboratory Medicine Conference, Hong Kong. 1997.
- Outstanding Research Award. Chang Gung University, Taiwan. 2002.
- The National Medal for Outstanding Young People, (93年中華民國青年獎章), Taiwan, 2004.
- Outstanding Teaching Award. Chang Gung University, Taiwan. 2011.
- Most Valuable Article Award, Journal of Formosan Medical Association, (臺灣醫學會雜誌年度最有價值論文獎) Taiwan, 2011.
- 國科會特殊優秀人才獎勵 (2010-2014)；教育部優良教授獎勵(2011-2104).
- Outstanding Research Award. Chang Gung University, Taiwan. 2012.
- Outstanding Research Award. National Science Council (Ministry of Science and Technology), (101國科會傑出研究獎) Taiwan. 2013.
- Research Grant Award, Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP). International, 2015-2018.
- Outstanding Award for Industrial Cooperation, Chang Gung University. (技合獎) 2016.
- Wang Ming-Ning Award, from Wang Ming-Ning Memorial Foundation.『第26屆王民寧獎』『學術研究成果對醫藥科技發展、國民健康和國家社會傑出貢獻獎』【基礎醫學類】得獎人, 2016.
- Outstanding Research Award. Ministry of Science and Technology, (105科技部傑出研究獎) Taiwan. 2017.
- Futuristic Breakthrough Technology Award (Inventor), 2018-Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan, 2018
- Outstanding Award for Industrial Cooperation, Chang Gung University. (技合獎) 2020.
- Outstanding Research Award, Chang Gung University, 2020.
- Taipei Biotech Award (Technology Transfer Special Mention Award -Silver) (台北生技獎)
- Outstanding Award for Technology Transfer. Ministry of Science and Technology, (110科技部傑出技轉貢獻獎) Taiwan. 2021.
- World’s Top 2% Scientists 2020 (published by Stanford University Based on Scopus database; 史丹佛大學發布「全球前2%頂尖科學家」
(* corresponding author)
1. Lu FJ, Shih SR, Liu TM and Shown SH. The effect of fluorescent humic substances existing in the well water of blackfoot disease endemic areas in Taiwan on prothrombin time and activated partial thromboplastin time in vitro. Throm. Res., 57(5) 747-753, 1990.
2. Chiu HC, Shih SR, Lu FJ and Yang HL. Stimulation of endothelin production in cultured human endothelial cells by fluorescent compounds associated with blackfoot disease. Throm. Res., 69(1) 139-151, 1993.
3. Shih SR, Nemeroff ME and Krug RM. The choice of alternative 5' splice sites in influenza virus M1 mRNA is regulated by the viral polymerase complex. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 92 : 6324-6328, 1995.
4. Shih SR and Krug RM. Novel exploitation of a nuclear function by influenza virus : the cellular SF2/ASF splicing factor controls the amount of the essential viral M2 ion channel protein in infected cells. EMBO J. 15 : 5415-5427, 1996.
5. Shih SR and Krug RM. Surprising function of the three influenza viral polymerase proteins : selective protection of viral mRNAs against the cap-snatching reaction catalyzed by the same polymerase proteins. Virology, 25 : 430-435, 1996.
6. *Shih SR. Emergence and diagnosis of influenza A viruses resistant to amantadine. J. Biomed. Lab. Sci. 9: 6-11, 1997.
7. Suen PC, Tsao KC, Wu TL, Ning HC, Liu TZ and *Shih SR. Quantitative RT-PCR for amantadine susceptibility testing of influenza viruses. Biotechnology Techniques (Journal name was changed to Biotechnology Letters, 2000)11: 873-878, 1997.
8. *Shih SR, Suen PC, Chen YS, and Chang SC. A novel spliced transcript of influenza A/WSN/33 virus. Virus Genes 17:2, 179-183, 1998.
9. Ho M, Chen ER, Hsu KH, Twu SJ, Chen KT, Tsai SF, Wang JR and Shih SR. The enterovirus type 71 epidemic of Taiwan, 1998. New Engl. J. Med. 341: 929-935, 1999.
10. Chang LY, Lin TY, Hsu KH, Huang YC, Lin KL, Hsueh C, Shih SR, Ning HC, Hwang MS, Wang HS, Lee CY. Comparative study of clinical features and risk factors of enterovirus 71 and coxackievirus A16 related hand, foot, and mouth disease. Lancet 354: 1682-86, 1999.
11. Lin SL, Shih SR, Huang YB, Lin CY and Lu CS. Intussusception in a child infected with enterovirus. Chang Gung Medical Journal, 22:319-323, 1999.
12. Shimizu H, Yoshii K, Yoshida A, Yoneyama T, Sinniah M, Apandi MY, Okuno Y, Okabe N, Inouye S, Shih SR, Chen HY, Wang GR, Kao CL, Chang KSS, Hagiwara Aa, Miyamura T. Enterovirus 71 from fatal and nonfatal cases of hand, foot and mouth disease epidemics in Malaysia, Japan and Taiwan in 1997-1998. Jpn. J. Infect. Dis. 52: 12-15, 1999.
13. Chang LY, Lin TY, Hsu KH, Huang YC, Lin KL, Hsueh C, Shih SR, Ning HC, Hwang MS, Wang HS, Lee CY. Clinical features and risk factors of pulmonary edema after enterovirus 16 related hand, foot, and mouth disease. Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 18: 1092-1096, 1999.
14. *Shih SR, Tsao KC, Ning HC, Huang YC and Lin TY. Diagnosis of respiratory tract viruses in 24 hours by immunofluorescent staining of shell vial cultures containing Madin-Darby Canine Kidney (MDCK) cells. J. Virol. Methods. 81: 77-81, 1999.
15. Ho Monto, Wang JR, and Shih SR. Outbreaks of enterovirus 71 infection. New Engl. J. Med. 342:355-356, 2000.
16. Shih SR, Li YS, Suen PC, Lin TY, Chang LY, Huang YC, Tsao KC, Ning HC and Chang JE. Expression of capsid protein VP1 for use as antigen for the diagnosis of enterovirus 71 infection. J. Med. Virol., 61:228-234, 2000.
17. *Shih SR, Ho MS, Lin KH, Wu SL, Chen YT, Wu CN, Lin TY, Tsao KC, Ning HC, Jung SM, Hsueh C, Chang PY, and Chang KS. Genetic analysis of enterovirus 71 isolated from fatal and nonfatal cases of hand, foot and mouth disease during an epidemic in Taiwan, 1998. Virus Res. 68:127-136, 2000.
18. Hsueh C, Jung SM, Shih SR, Lin TY, Shieh WJ, Chang LY, Yen DC, Zaki S, Kuo T. Acute encephalomyelitis during an outbreak of enterovirus type 71 Infection in Taiwan: report of an autopsy case with pathologic, immunofluorescence and molecular Studies. Modern Pathology, 13:1200-1205, 2000.
19. Chu PY, Lin KH, Hwang KP, Chou LC, Wang CF, Shih SR, Wang JR, Shimada Y and Ishiko H. Molecular epidemiology of enterovirus 71 in Taiwan. Arch. Virol.146: 589-600, 2001.
20. Wong WR, Tsai CY, Shih SR, and Chan HL. Association of Pityriasis Rosea with Human Herpesvirus 6 and Human Herpesvirus 7 in Taiwan. J. Formos. Med. Assoc., 100: 478-83, 2001.
21. *Shih SR, Lee CN, Tsai HR, Chen GW and Tsao KC. Amantadine resistant influenza A viruses in Taiwan. J. Formos. Med. Assoc., 100: 608-12, 2001.
22. Yen HL, Cheng MC, Liu JL, Kao CL, Shih SR, Cox NJ, Webster RG, King CC. Influenza Surveillance in poultry market and its inter-species transmission in Taiwan. In Options for the Control of Influenza IV, ed. A. Osterhaus, N. Cox and A. Hampson (Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam), pp. 201-211, 2001.
23. Wu CN, Lin YC, Fann C, Liao NS, Shih SR and Ho MS. Protection against lethal enterovirus 71 infection in newborn mice by passive immunization with subunit VP1 vaccines and inactivated virus. Vaccine 20: 895-904, 2002.
24. Tsao KC, Chang PY, Ning HC, Sun CF, Lin TY, Chang LY, Huang YC and *Shih SR. Use of molecular assay in diagnosis of hand, foot and mouth disease caused by enteroviruses 71 or coxsackievirus A 16. J. Virol. Methods,102: 9-14, 2002.
25. Lai ML, Hsu TA, Chen TC, Chang SC, Lee JC, Chen CC, Stollar V and *Shih SR. The 3C protease activity of enterovirus 71 induced human neural cell apoptosis. Virology, 293 (2): 386-395, 2002.
26. Lu FJ, Tsung SN, Lai ML and *Shih SR. In vitro anti-influenza virus activity of synthetic humate analogues derived from protocatechuic acid. Arch. Virol. 147: 273-284, 2002.
27. Shia KS, Li WT, Chang CM, Hsu MC, Chern JH, Leong MK, Tseng SN, Lee CC, Lee YC, Chen SJ, Tseng HY, Chang YL, Peng KC, Tai CL and *Shih SR. Design, Synthesis, and Structure-Activity Relationship of Imidazolidinone Derivatives. A Novel Series of Potent and Selective Human Enterovirus 71 Inhibitors. J. Med. Chem., 45: 1644-1655, 2002.
28. Lin TY, Chang LY, Hsia SH, Huang YC, Chiu CH, Hsueh C, Shih SR, Liu CC and Wu MH. The 1998 Enterovirus 71 outbreak in Taiwan, athogensis and mangement. Clin. Infect. Dis., 34(2):S52-7, 2002.
29. Chang LY, King CC, Hsu KH, Ning HC, Tsao KC, Li CC, Huang YC, Shih SR, Chiou ST, Chen PY, Chang HJ and Lin TY. Risk factors of enterovirus 71 infection and associated hand, foot, and mouth disease/herpangina in children during an epidemic in Taiwan Pediatrics, 109: (6) 88- (1-6), 2002.
30. Tsao KC, Chan EC, Chang LY, Chang PY, Huang CG, Chen YP, Chang SC, Lin TY, Sun CF and *Shih SR. Responses of IgM to enterovirus 71 infection. J. Med. Virol., 68:574-580, 2002.
31. Lin YC, Wu CN, Shih SR, and Ho MS. Characterization of a vero cell-adapted virulent strain of enterovirus 71 suitable being vaccine candidate. Vaccine, 200: 2485-2493, 2002.
32. Shih SR, Tsai KN, Li YS, Chueh CC and Chan EC. Inhibition of enterovirus 71-induced apoptosis by allophycocyanin isolated from a blue-green alga spirulina platensis. J. Med. Virol. 70:119-125, 2003.
33. *Shih SR, Wang YW, Chen GW, L Chang Y, Lin TY, Tseng MC, Chiang C, Tsao KC, Huang CG, Shio MR, Tai JH, Wang SH, Kuo RL, and Liu WT. Serotype–Specific Detection of Enterovirus 71 in Clinical Specimens by DNA Microchip Array. J. Virol. Methods. 111: 55-60, 2003.
34. Chang LY, Tsao KC, Hsia SH, Shih SR, Huang CG, Fang TY, Huang YC, Lin TY. Transmission and clinical features of EV71 infections in household contacts. JAMA, 291: 222-227, 2004.
35. *Shih SR, Chiang C, Chen TC, Wu CN, Hsu TA, Lee JC, Hwang MJ and Ho MS. Mutations in KFRDI and VGK domains of enterovirus 71 3C protease affect its RNA binding and proteolytic activities. J. Biomedical Science, 11:239-248, 2004.
36. Chen GW, Yang CC, Tsao KC, Huang CG, Lee LA, Lin TY and *Shih SR (correspondence). Analysis of influenza A virus PB1-F2 gene in recent Taiwanese isolates. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 10: 630-636, 2004.
37. Shih SR, Chen SJ, Hakimelahi GH, Liu HJ, Tseng CT and Shia KS. Selective-human enterovirus and rhinovirus inhibitors: an overview of capsid-binding and protease-inhibiting molecules. Medicinal Research Reviews, 24(4): 449-474, 2004.
38. Chern JH, Shia KS, Hsu TA, Tai CL, Lee CC, Lee YC, Chang CS, Tseng SN and *Shih SR. Design, Synthesis, and Structure-Activity Relationship of Pyrazolo[3,4-d]pyrimidines: A Novel Class of Potent Enterovirus Inhibitors. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 14(10): 2519-2525, 2004.
39. *Shih SR, Tsai MC, Tseng SN, Won KF, Shia KS, Li WT, Chern JH, Chen GW, Lee CC, Lee YC, Peng KC and Chao YS. Mutation in Enterovirus 71 VP1 capsid protein can confer resistance to the inhibitory effects of pyridyl imidazolidinone. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 48(9): 3523-3529, 2004.
40. Shih SR, Stollar V, Chen GW and Li ML. Identification of genes involved in the host response to EV71 infection. Journal of NeuroVirology, 10(5): 293-304, 2004.
41. Chern JH , Lee CC, Chang CS, Lee YC, Tai CL, Lin YT, Shia KS, Lee CY and *Shih SR. Synthesis and Antienteroviral Activity of a Series of Novel, Oxime Ether-Containing Pyridyl Imidazolidinones. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 14(20): 5051-5056, 2004.
42. Chang SC, Lin JY, Lo KC, Lai ML and *Shih SR. Diverse apoptotic pathways in enterovirus 71-infected cells. Journal of NeuroVirology, 10(6): 338-349, 2004.
43. Shih SR, Chen GW, Yang CC, Yang WZ, Tsao KC, Huang CG, Huang YL, Lin TY, Liu DP, Chiu SC, Lin JH, Chen HY, Wang JR, Kao CL, Lin KH, Chen LK, Eng HL, Liu YC, Chen PY, Tsao LY, Wang JS, Hsiung CA, Chen PJ and Su IJ. Laboratory-based surveillance and molecular epidemiology of influenza virus in Taiwan. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 43: 1651-1661, 2005.
44. Lee JC, Wu TY, Huang CF, Yang FM, Shih SR, Hsu JT. High-efficiency protein expression mediated by enterovirus 71 internal ribosome entry site. Biotechnology & Bioengineering, 90(5):656-62, 2005.
45. Chern JH, Chen CC and Shih SR “DBPR-103: A Novel Anti-EV 71 Compound” SCBA/BioPharm 10 (3), 9-13, 2005.
46. Chang CS, Lin YT, Shih SR, Lee CC, Lee YC, Tsai CL, Tseng SN and Chern JH “Design, synthesis, and antipicornavirus activity of 1-[5-(4-arylphenoxy)alkyl]-3-pyridin-4-ylimidazolidin-2-one derivatives” J. Med. Chem., 48: 3522-3535, 2005.
47. Chen GW, Hsiung CA, Chyn JL, Shih SR, Wen CC and Chang IS, Molecular typing for enterovirus 71 by profile hidden Markov model. Virus Genes, 31(3):337-347, 2005.
48. Tsao KC, Chen GW, Huang CG, Huang YL, Sun CF and *Shih SR. Cross reactivity of detecting antibody against human T-cell lymphotropic virus in patients associated with severe acute respiratory syndrome. Journal of Medical Virology, 77(3), 331-336, 2005.
49. Chern JH, Chang CS, Tai CL, Lee YC, Lee CC, Kang IJ, Lin YT, Lee CY and *Shih SR (correspondence). “Synthesis and Antipicornavirus Activity of (R)- and (S)-1-[5-(4'-Chlorobiphenyl-4-yloxy)-3-methylpentyl]-3-pyridin-4-yl-imidazolidin-2-one” Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 15 (19), 4206-4211, 2005.
50. Hsu TA, Wang HC, Chen GW and *Shih SR. Antiviral drug discovery targeting to viral proteases. Current Pharmaceutical Design, 12(11),1301-1314, 2006
51. *Shih SR. Recent advances in antiviral agents. Current Pharmaceutical Design, 12(11), 1299-1330, 2006.
52. Chang SC, Cheng YY and *Shih SR. Avian influenza virus: the threat of a pandemic. Chang Gung Medical Journal, 29 (2): 130-134, 2006.
53. Chen GW, Chang SC, Mok CK, Lo YL, Wang JY, Chiang C, Chen CJ and *Shih SR. Genomic signatures of Human versus Avian Influenza A Viruses. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 12(9): 1353-1360, 2006.
54. SC Chang, Chen GW, Mok CK, Tsao KC, Huang CG and *Shih SR. Analysis of subtype influenza A isolates in Taiwan during year 2003 to 2004, J. Formos. Med. Assoc. 105(11): 895-910, 2006.
55. Chen TC, Chen GW, Hsiung CA, JY Yang, Shih SR, Lai YK and Juang JL. Combining Multiplex Reverse Transcription-PCR and a Diagnostic Microarray To Detect and Differentiate Enterovirus 71 and Coxsackievirus A16. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 44: 2212-2219, 2006.
56. Chung YC, Huang JH, Lai CW, Sheng HC, Shih SR , Ho MS and Hu YC. Expression, purification and characterization of enterovirus-71 virus-like particles.
World J Gastroenterol. 12(6):921-7, 2006.
57. Chen GW and Shih SR. “Influenza A virus PB1-F2 gene [response]”. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 12(10): 1207-1209, 2006. (Response to Letter by R. Zell et al., Available from http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol12no10/06-0511_06-0909.htm)
58. Chen GW, Shih SR, Hsiao MR, Chang SC, Sun JF and Tsao KC. Multiple genotypes of influenza B Viruses co-circulated in Taiwan in 2005-2006 season. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 45(5):1515-1522, 2007. (Co-first author)
59. Li C, Wang H, Shih SR, Chen TC and ML Li. The efficacy of viral capsid inhibitors in human enterovirus infections and associated diseases. Current Medicinal Chemistry, 14:847-856, 2007.
60. Lee JC, Shih SR, Chang TY, Tseng HY, Shih YF, Shie JJ, Fang JM, Liang PH, Chao YS and Hsu TA. A mammalian cell-based reverse two hybrid system for functional analysis of 3C viral protease of human enterovirus 71. Analytical Biochemistry, 375(1):115-23, 2008.
61. Wu YH, Tseng CP, Cheng ML, Ho HY, *Shih SR and Chiu DT. Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase deficiency enhances human coronavirus 229E infection. Journal of Infectious Diseases,197: 812-816, 2008.
62. Chen WC, Shih SR, Huang YC, Chen GW, Hsiao MJ, Tsao KC and Lin TY. Severe Influenza disease and Genetic Feature in Influenza B outbreak – Taiwan, 2004-2005 season. Journal of Clinical Virology, 42(1):45-51, 2008.
63. Chang LY, Chang IS, Chen WJ, Huang YC, Shih SR, Chen GW, Juang JL, Shih HM, Hsiung CA, Lin TY and Huang LM. HLA-33 is associated with susceptibility to enterovirus 71 infection. Pediatrics, 122: 1271-1276, 2008.
64. Chen TC, Liu SC, Huang PN, Chang HY, Chern JH and *Shih SR. Antiviral activities of pyridyl imidazolidinone derivatives against enterovirus 71. J. Biomedical Science,15: 291-300, 2008.
65. Jian JW, Chen GW, Lai CT, Hsu LC, Chen PJ, Kuo Steve, Wu HS and *Shih SR. Genetic and epidemiological analysis of influenza virus endemics in Taiwan during 2003-2006. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 46(4):1426-34, 2008.
66. Kuo CJ, Shie JJ, Fang JM, Yes GR, Hsu JA, Liu HG, Tseng SN, Chang SC, Lee CY, Shih SR and Liang PH. Design, synthesis, and evaluation of 3C protease inhibitors as anti-enterovirus 71 agents. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 16, 7388-7398, 2008.
67. Chen YJ, Zeng SJ, Hsu TJ, Horng JT, Yang HM, Chu YT, Shih SR and Wu TY. Amantadine as a regulator of internal ribosomal entry site. Acta Pharmacol Sin, 29(11):1327-33, 2008.
68. Ho HY, Cheng ML, Weng SF, Chang L, Yeh TT, *Shih SR and Chiu DT. Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency enhances enterovirus 71 infection. Journal of General Virology, 89: 2080-2089, 2008.
69. Shih SR, Stollar V, Lin JY, Wang H, Weng KF and Li ML. Viral protein synthesis is required for enterovirus 71 to induce apoptosis in human glioblastoma cells. Journal of NeuroVirology, 14(1):53-61, 2008.
70. Lin JY, Li ML, Chien KY, Horng JT and *Shih SR. Heterogeneous nuclear ribonuclear protein K interacts with enterovirus 71 5’ untranslated region and participates in viral replication. Journal of General Virology, 89: 2540-2549, 2008. (selected to be shown in the cover page)
71. Chen TC, Chang SC, Weng KF, Huang PN, Lin JY and *Shih SR. Development of antiviral agents for enteroviruses. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 62(6):1169-73, 2008.
72. Chiang C, Chen GW and *Shih SR. Mutations at alternative 5’ splice sites of M1 mRNA negatively affect influenza A viral viability and growth rate. Journal of Virology, 82(21): 10873-10886, 2008.
73. Lin JY, Li ML and *Shih SR. Far upstream element binding protein 2 interacts with enterovirus 71 internal ribosomal entry site and negatively regulates viral protein synthesis. Nucleic Acids Research, 37: 47-59, 2009.
74. Hung HC, Tseng CP, Yang JM, Ju YW, Tseng SN, Chen YF, Chao YS, Hsieh HP, Shih SR and Hsu JT. Aurintricarboxylic acid inhibits influenza virus neuraminidase. Antiviral Research, 81(2): 123-31, 2009.
75. Tsai KN, Lin SH, Shih SR, Lai JS and Chen CM. Genomic splice site prediction algorithm based on nucleotide sequence pattern for RNA viruses. Computational Biology and Chemistry, 33(2):171-5, 2009.
76. Lee CC, Kuo CJ, Ko TP, Hsu MF, Tsui YC, Chang SC, Yang S, Chen SJ, Chen HC, Hsu MC, Shih SR, Liang PH and Wang AH. Structural basis of inhibition specificities of 3C and 3C-like proteases by zinc-coordinating and peptidomimetic compounds. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 284(12): 7646-7655, 2009.
77. Chen TC, Chang HY, Lin PF, Chern JH, Hsu TA, Chang CY and *Shih SR. Novel antiviral agent DTriP-22 targets RNA-dependent RNA polymerase of enterovirus 71. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 53(7): 2740-7, 2009.
78. Lin JY, Shih SR, Pan M, Li C, Stollar V and Li ML. An RNA-binding protein, hnRNP A1, that interacts with the 5’UTRs of enterovirus 71 and Sindbis virus RNA and facilitates their replication. Journal of Virology, 83(12): 6106-14, 2009.
79. Weng KF, Li ML, Hung CT and *Shih SR. Enterovirus 71 3C protease cleaves a novel target CstF-64 and inhibits cellular polyadenylation. PLoS Pathogens, 5(9):e1000593, 2009. (recommended on Pubadvanced)
80. Chang LY, Shih SR, Sha PL, Huang DT, Huang LM. Novel swine-origin influenza A (H1N1): the first pandemic of the 21st century. J Formos Med Assoc. 108(7): 526-32, 2009. (co-first author)
81. Chen GW and *Shih SR. Genomic signatures of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza virus. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 15(12): 1897-1903. 2009.
82. Lin JY, Chen TC, Weng KF, Chang SC, Chen LL and *Shih SR. Viral and host protein involved in picornavirus life cycle. J. Biomedical Science, 16: 103, 2009.
83. *Shih SR, Horng JT, Poon LL, Chen TC, Tseng SN, Chiang C, Hsieh HP and Chao YS and Hsu JT. BPR2-D2 targeting viral ribonucleoprotein complex-associated function inhibits oseltamivir-resistant influenza viruses. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 65(1): 63-71, 2010.
84. Shih SR, Chu TY, Reddy GR, Tseng SN, Chen HL, Tang WF, Wu MH, Yeh JY, Chao YS, Hsu T, Hsieh HP, and Horng JT. Pyrazole compound BPR1P0034 with potent and selective anti-influenza virus activity. J. Biomedical Science, 17 (1): 13, 2010.
85. Yeh JY, Coumar MS, Horng JT, Shiao HY, Kuo FM, Lee HL, Chen IC, Chang CW, Tang WF, Tseng SN, Chen CJ, Shih SR, Hsu JA, Liao CC, Chao YS, Hsieh HP. Anti-Influenza drug discovery: structure-activity relationship and mechanistic insight into novel Angelicin derivatives. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 53:1519-1533, 2010.
86. Hung HC, Chen TC, Fang MY, Yen KJ, Shih SR, Hsu JT and Tseng CP. Inhibition of enterovirus 71 replication and viral 3D polymerase by aurintricarboxylic acid. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy,65(4):676-83, 2010.
87. Huang CG, Tsao KC, Lin TY, Huang YC, Lee CA, Chen TH, Huang YL and Shih SR. Estimates of individuals exposed to human metapneumovirus in a community-based Taiwanese people in 1999. Archive Virology, 155 (3): 343-50, 2010.
88. Tsao KC, Huang CG, Huang YL, Chen FC, Huang PN, Huang YC, Lin TY , Shih SR and Chang SC. Epidemiologic features and virus isolation of enteroviruses in Northern Taiwan during 2000-2008. Journal of Virological Methods, 165(2): 330-2, 2010.
89. Su WJ, Shao PL, Liu MT, Liu DP, Hung KC, Chang LY, Lu CY, Wang JR, Shih SR, Huang TN, Chi H and Huang LM. Low seroprotection against pre-seasonal influenza local strains in children might predict the uncoming epidemic influenza strains. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 51(2):171-6, 2010.
90. Chiou CC, Chen TL, Tsao KC, Shih SR, Huang CG, Huang YL and Chang CM. Detection of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza virus by allele discrimination. Clin Chim Acta, 411(15-16): 1080-3, 2010.
91. Wang HY, Tsao KC, Hsieh CH, Hunag LM, Lin TY, Chen GW, Shih SR and Chang LY. Inferring nonneutral evolution from contrasting patterns of polymorphisms and divergences in different protein coding regions of enterovirus 71 circulating in Taiwan during 1998-2003. BMC Evolutionary Biology, 10:294, 2010.
92. Weng KF, Chen LL, Huang PN and *Shih SR. Neural pathogenesis of enterovirus 71 infection. Microbes and Infection, 12(7): 505-10, 2010.
93. Chen CJ, Chen GW, Wang CH, Huang CH, Wang YC and *Shih SR. Differential localization and function of PB1-F2 derived from different strains of influenza A virus. Journal of Virology, 84(19) 10051-10062, 2010.
94. Chang SC, Chang CM, Huang YC, Shih SR and Lin TY. Preexisting antibodies against pandemic H1N1 2009 virus in Taiwan. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 51(12): 1465-7, 2010.
95. Hung HC, Wang HC, Shih SR, Teng IF, Tseng Cp and Hsu TA. Synergistic inhibition of enterovirus 71 replication by interferon and rupintrivir. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 203(12):1784-90, 2011.
96. Naffakh N and *Shih SR. Confronting influenza virus: A common but ever-changing pathogen. Microbes and Infection, 13(5):468-9, 2011.
97. Huang DT, Shao PL, Huang KC, Lu CY, Wang JR, Shih SR, Chi H, Lai MR, Lee CY, Chang LY, Huang LM. Serologic status for pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus, Taiwan. Emerging infectious Diseases, 17(1):76-8, 2011.
98. Chen SC, Chang LY, Wang YW, Chen YC, Weng KF, Shih SR and Shih HM. Sumoylation-promoted enterovirus 71 3C degradation correlates with a reduction in viral replication and cell apoptosis. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 286(36):31373-84, 2011.
99. Kang IJ, Wang LW, Hsu TA, Yueh A, Lee CC, Lee CY, Chao YS, *Shih SR and Chern JH. Isatin-b-thiosemicarbazones as potent herpes simplex virus inhibitors. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett., 21(7):1948-52, 2011.
100. Chen TC and *Shih SR. Antiviral agents targeting to enteroviruses. Infectious Disorders-Drug Targets, 11(3):337-45, 2011.
101.Hsieh EF, Lin SJ, Mok CK, Huang CH, Wang YC and *Shih SR. Alteration of viral replication rate and pathogenicity for a mild influenza virus by single reassortment of PA gene derived from the pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza virus. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 204: 864-872, 2011.
102. Shih SR, Stollar V and Li ML. Host factors in enterovirus 71 replication. Journal of Virology, 85(19): 9658-9666, 2011.
103. Huang PN, Lin JY, Locker N, Kung YA, Hung CT, Lin Jh-Y, Huang HI, Li ML and *Shih SR. Far upstream element binding protein 1 binds the internal ribosomal entry site of enterovirus 71 and enhances viral translation and viral growth. Nucleic Acids Research, 39(2), 9633-9648, 2011.
104. Chen GW, Tsao KC, Huang CG, Gong YN, Chang SC, Liu YC, Wu HH, Yang SL, Lin TZ, Huang YC and Shih SR. Amino acids transitioning of 2009 H1N1pdm in Taiwan from 2009 to 2011. PLoS ONE, e45946, 2012.
105. Huang HI, Weng KF and *Shih SR. Viral and host factors that contribute to pathogenicity of enterovirus 71. Future Microbiology, 7(4): 467-479, 2012.
106. Chang SC, Li WC, Chen GW, Tsao KC, Huang CG, Huang YC, Chiu CH, Kuo CY, Tsai KN, *Shih SR and Lin TY. Genetic characterization of enterovirus 71 isolated from patients with severe diseases through comparative analysis of complete genomes. Journal of Medical Virology, 84:931-939, 2012.
107. Chen KR, Chang CH, Huang CY, Lin CY, Lin WY, Lo YC, Yang CY, Hsing EW, Chen CF, Shih SR. Shiau AL, Lei HY, Tan TH and Ling P. TBK1-assocaited protein in endolysosomes (TAPE)/CC2D1A is a key regulator linking RIG-1-like receptor to antiviral immunity. J. Biol. Chem, 14;287(38):32216-21., 2012.
108. Shiao HY, Kuo CC, Horng JT, Shih SR, Chang SY, Liao CC, Hsu JT, Amancha PK, Chao YS and Hsieh HP. An efficient, mild and scalable synthesis of bioactive compounds containing the angelicin scaffold. Journal of the Chinese Chemical Society39: 1548-1554, 2012.
109. Chen YJ, Chang SC, Tsao KC, Shih SR, Yang SL, Lin TY and Huang YC. Comparative genomic analysis of coxackievirus A6 strains of different clinical disease entities. PLoS ONE, e52432, 2012.
110. Tsao KC, Chiou CC, Chen TL, Huang CG, Hsieh EF and *Shih SR. Detection of low copies of drug-resistant influenza viral gene by a single-tube reaction using peptide nucleic acid as both PCR clamp and sensor probes. J Microbiol Immunol Infect doi:pii: S1684-1182 (12)00212-5, 2012.
111. Kuo RL and *Shih SR. Strategies to develop antivirals against enterovirus 71, Virology J. 2013 Jan22; 10(1):28 (Highly accessed article, BioMed Central)
112. Chang SC, Li WC, Huang KY, Huang YC, Chiu CH, Chen CJ, Hsieh YC, Kuo CY, Shih SR and Lin TY. Efficacy of alcohols and alcohol-based hand disinfectants against human enterovirus 71.J. Hosp Infect. Doi:pii: S0195-6701(13)00004-2, 2013.
113. Chen LL, Kung YA, Weng KF, Lin JY Horng JT and *Shih SR. Enterovirus 71 infection cleaves negative regulator for viral internal ribosomal entry site-driven translation. Journal of Virology, 2013, 87(7);3828-3838.
114. Kuo RL, Kao LT, Lin SJ, Wang RY and Shih SR. MDA5 plays a crucial role in enterovirus 71 RNA mediated IRF3 activation. PLoS ONE, e63641, 2013.
115. Lee LA, Huang CG, Tsao KC, Liao CT, Kang CJ, Chang KP, Huang SF, Chen IH, Fang TJ, Li HY, Yang SL, Lee LY, Hsueh C, Chen TC, Lin CY, Fan KH, Wang HM, Ng SH, Chang YL, Lai CH, Shih SR, Yen TC. Increasing rates of low-risk human papillomavirus infections in patients with oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma: association with clinical outcomes.J Clin Virol. 2013 Aug;57(4):331-7.
116. Chen GW, Lai M, Wu SC, Chang SC, Huang LM and *Shih SR. Is avian influenza A (H7N9) virus staggering its way to human. J Formos Med Assoc, 2013, 112(6):312-8.
117. Wang RY, Kuo RL, Ma WC, Huang HI, Yu JS, Yen SM, Huang CR, Shih SR. Heat shock protein-90-beta facilitates enterovirus 71 viral particles assembly. Virology. 2013, 443(2): 236-47.
118. Huang CH, Chen CJ, Yen CT, Yu CP, Huang PN, Kuo RL, Lin SJ, Chang CK and *Shih SR. Caspase-1 deficient mice is more susceptible to influenza A virus infection with PA variation. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2013: 208(11):1998-1905.
119. Chung WH, Shih SR, Chang CF, Lin TY, Huang YC, Chang SC, Liu MT, Ko YS, Deng MC, Liau YL, Lin LH, Chen TH, Yang CH, Ho HC, Lin JW, Lu CW, Lu CF, Hung SI. Clinicopathologic analysis of coxsackievirus A6 new variant induced widespread mucocutaneous bullous reactions mimicking severe cutaneous adverse reactions. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2013 Dec 15;208(12):1968-78. (co-first author)
120. Lam TT, Chong YL, Shi M, Hon CC, Li J, Martin DP, Tang JW, Mok CK, Shih SR, Yip CW, Jiang J, Hui RK, Pybus OG, Holmes EC, Leung FC. Systematic phylogenetic analysis of influenza A virus reveals many novel mosaic genome segments.Infect Genet Evol. 2013 Mar 30. doi:pii: S1567-1348(13)00088-9.
121. Mok CK, Chen GW, Shih KC, Gong YN, Lin SJ, Horng JT, Hsu TA, Chen CJ and *Shih SR. Evolutionarily Conserved Residues at an Oligomerization Interface of the Influenza A Virus Neuraminidase are Essential for Viral Survival. Virology, 2013 Dec;447(1-2):32-44. doi: 10.1016.
122. Mok CK, Chang SC, Chen GW, Lo YL, Chen SJ, Wu HS, Liu MT, Chang FY, Lin TY and *Shih SR. Pyrosequencing Reveals An Oseltamivir-Resistant Marker in the Quasispecies of Avian Influenza A (H7N9) Virus. J Microbiol Immunol Infect, 2013 Dec 30. pii: S1684-1182(13)00201-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jmii.2013.09.010. [Epub ahead of print]
123. Lin JY and *Shih SR. Cell and tissue tropism of enterovirus 71 and other enteroviruses infections. J Biomed Sci. 2014 Mar 7;21:18. doi: 10.1186/1423-0127-21-18.
124. Chen GW, *Shih SR Avian influenza A virus infection in humans.Biomed J. 2014 Jan-Feb;37(1):1-2. doi: 10.4103/2319-4170.125882.
125. Ho BC , Yu IS, Lu LF, Dr. Rudensky A, Chen HY, Tsai CW , Chang YL , CT Wu , Chang LY, Shih SR, Lin SW, Lee CN, Yang PC.Inhibition of miR-146a prevents enterovirus-induced death by restoring the production of type I interferon. Nature Communications, 2014;5:3344. doi: 10.1038/ncomms4344.
126. Liu YC, Kuo RL, Lin JY, Huang PN, Huang Y, Liu H, Arnold, JJ, Chen SJ, Wang, RY, Cameron CE and *Shih SR. Cytoplasmic viral RNA-dependent RNA polymerase disrupts the intracellular splicing machinery by entering nucleus and interfering with Prp8. PLoS Pathogens, 2014 Jun 26;10(6):e1004199.
127. Huang PN and *Shih SR. Update on enterovirus 71 infection. Current Opinion in Virology, 2014 Apr;5:98-104. doi: 10.1016/j.coviro.2014.03.007. Epub 2014 Apr 12.
128. Kung YA, CT Hung, YC Liu. Update on the development of enterovirus 71 vaccines. Expert Opinion On Biological Therapy,2014 Jul 3:1-10. [Epub ahead of print]
129. Kuo RL, Yang SL, Liu YC, Chen LT, Mok CK, Kuo SM, Shih SR, Tsao KC. Influenza A/B virus detection and influenza A virus subtyping with emphasis on the novel H7N9 virus by using multiplex real-time RT-PCR. J Virol Methods. 2014; 208:41-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jviromet.2014.07.020.
130. Huang HI, Lin JY, Chen HH, Yeh SB, Kuo RL, Weng KF,Shih SR. Enterovirus 71 infects brain-derived neural progenitor cells. Virology. 2014;Oct 6;468-470C:592-600. doi: 10.1016/j.virol.2014.09.017. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:25299565
131. Weng KF, Hung CT, Hsieh PT, Li ML, Chen GW, Kung YA, Huang PN, Kuo RL, Chen LL, Lin JY, Wang RYL, Chen SJ, Tang P, Horng JT, Huang HI, Wang JR, Ojcius DM, Brewer G and *Shih SR. A Cytoplasmic RNA Virus Generates Functional Viral Small RNAs and Self-Regulates Viral IRES Activity in Mammalian Cells. Nucleic Acids Research, 2014 Oct 28. pii: gku952. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:25352551
132. Balaji VA, Chen GW, Hsieh PT, Horng JT, Hsu JT, Hsieh HP, Chen TC, Weng KF and *Shih SR. BPR-3P0128 inhibits RNA-dependent RNA polymerase elongation and VPg uridylylation activities of enterovirus 71. Antiviral Res. 2014 Dec;112:18-25. doi: 10.1016/j.antiviral.2014.10.003. Epub 2014 Oct 18.
133. Gong YN, Chen GW, Chen CJ, Kuo RL, Shih SR. Computational analysis and mapping of novel open reading frames in influenza A viruses. PLoS One. 2014 Dec 15;9(12):e115016. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0115016. eCollection 2014.
134. Chen GW, Gong YN, Shih SR. Influenza A virus plasticity-A temporal analysis of species-associated genomic signatures. J Formos Med Assoc. 2015 May;114(5):456-63. doi: 10.1016/j.jfma.2015.01.015. Epub 2015 Mar 6.
135. Kuo RL, Lin YH, Wang RY, Hsu CW, Chiu YT, Huang HI, Kao LT, Yu JS, Shih SR, Wu CC. Proteomics analysis of EV71-infected cells reveals the involvement of host protein NEDD4L in EV71 replication. J Proteome Res. 2015 Apr 3;14(4):1818-30. doi: 10.1021/pr501199h. Epub 2015 Mar 26.
136. Weng KF, Hsieh PT, Huang HI, Shih SR. Mammalian RNA virus-derived small RNA: biogenesis and functional activity. Microbes Infect. 2015 May 14. pii: S1286-4579(15)00084-2. doi: 10.1016/j.micinf.2015.04.005. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
137. Huang HI, Shih SR. Neurotropic Enterovirus Infections in the Central Nervous System. Viruses. 2015 Nov 24;7(11):6051-66. doi: 10.3390/v7112920.
138. Kuo SM , Chen GW , Arul Balaji Velu , Srinivas Dash , Han YJ , Tsao KC, *Shih SR. Circulating pattern and genomic characteristics of influenza B viruses in Taiwan from 2003 to 2014. Journal of the Formosan Medical Association. In press 2016.
139. Chen GW, Kuo SM , Yang SL , Gong YN, Hsiao MR, Liu YC , Shih SR, Tsao KC. Genomic Signatures for Avian H7N9 Viruses Adapting to Humans. PLoS One 2016 Feb 10(1371)1-20
140. Huang Hi, Chang YY, Lin JY, Kuo RL, Liu HP, Shih SR, Wu CC. Interactome analysis of the EV71 5' untranslated region in differentiated neuronal cells SH-SY5Y and regulatory role of FBP3 in viral replication. Proteomics. ;16(17):2351-62. doi: 10.1002/pmic.201600098. Epub 2016 Jul 8. 2016 Sep
141. Ho JY, Chern JH, Hsheh CF, Lui ST, Liu CJ, Wang YS, Kuo TW, Hsu SJ, Yeh TK, Shih SR, Hsieh PW, Chiu CH, Horng JT. In vitro and in vivo studies of a potent capsid-binding inhibitor of enterovirus 71. J Antimicrob Chemother. 71 (7): 1922-1932.DOI:https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkw101. 2016
142. Kuo RL, Li ZH, Li LH, Lee KM, Tam EH, Liu HM, Liu, Shih SR, Wu CC. Interactome Analysis of the NS1 Protein Encoded by Influenza A H1N1 Virus Reveals a Positive Regulatory Role of Host Protein PRP19 in Viral ReplicationJ. Proteome Res., 15 (5), pp 1639–1648 DOI: 10.1021/acs.jproteome.6b00103 2016.
143. Li ML, Weng KF, Shih and Brewer G. The evolving world of small RNAs from RNA viruses. Wiley Interdiscip Rev RNA. 2016 Apr 5. doi: 10.1002/wrna.1351. [Epub ahead of print] Review
144. Chen YH, Chang GK, Kuo SM, Huang SY, Hu IC, Lo YL,*Shih SR. Well-tolerated Spirulina extract inhibits influenza virus replication and reduces virus-induced mortality.Sci Rep.2016 Apr 12;6:24253. doi: 10.1038/srep24253.
145. Chen MF, Weng KF, Huang SY, Liu YC , Tseng SN ,David M. , *Shih SR . Pretreatment with a heat-killed probiotic modulates monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 and reduces thepathogenicity of influenza and enterovirus 71 infections .Mucosal Immunology. 016 Apr 13. doi: 10.1038/mi.2016.31. [Epub ahead of print]
146.Chen MF, *Shih SR. Motor coordination and balance measurements reveal differential pathogenicity of currently spreading enterovirus 71 strains in human SCARB2 transgenic mice. Journal of General Virology 97: 3243-3247, doi:10.1099/jgv.0.000640.2016
147. Kung YA, Hung CT, Chien KY, *Shih SR Control of the downregulating IRES trans-acting factor KSRP by ubiquitination. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017, 45:1, 271-287. (doi: 10.1093/nar/gkw1042.)
148. Hung CT, Kung YA, Li ML, Gary Brewer, Lee KM, Liu ST, *Shih SR. Additive Promotion of Viral Internal Ribosome Entry Site-Mediated Translation by Far Upstream Element- Binding Protein 1 and an Enterovirus 71-Induced Cleavage Product. PLoS Pathog. 2016 Oct 25;12(10):e1005959. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1005959. eCollection ,2016
149. Lee KM, Chen CJ, *Shih SR. Regulation Mechanisms of Viral IRES-driven translation. Trends in Microbiology. 2017, 25:7, 546-561. (pii: S0966-842X(17)30022-7. doi: 10.1016/j.tim.2017.01.010.)
150. Huang PN, Jheng JR, Arnold JJ, Wang JR, Cameron CE, *Shih SR. UGGT1 enhances enterovirus 71 pathogenicity by promoting viral RNA synthesis and viral replication. PLoS Pathogens. 2017 May 17;13(5):e1006375. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1006375. eCollection 2017 May.PMID:28545059
151. Kuo SM, Chen CJ, Chang SC, Liu TJ, Chen YS, Huang SY, *Shih SR. Inhibition of avian influenza A virus replication in human cells by host restriction factor TUFM is correlated with autophagy. mBio, 2017. pii: e00481-17. doi: 10.1128/mBio.00481-17.
152. Huang CG, Lee LA, Fang TJ, Li HY, Liao CT, Kang CJ, Yen TC, Tsao KC, Chen TC, Shih SR. Human papillomavirus infection is not associated with laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma in Taiwan. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2018 Feb 21. pii: S1684-1182(18)30047-1. doi: 10.1016/j.jmii.2018.02.002
153. Huang CG, Lee LA, Wu YC, Hsiao MJ, Horng JT, Kuo RL, Huang CH, Lin YC, Tsao KC, Chen MC, Chen TC, Shih SR. A pilot study on primary cultures of human respiratory tract epithelial cells to predict patients' responses to H7N9 infection. Oncotarget. 2018 Feb 20;9(18):14492-14508. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.24537.
154. Lee KM, Gong YN, Hsieh TH, Woodman A, Dekker NH, Cameron CE, *Shih SR. Discovery of enterovirus A-like nonstructural genomes in recent circulating viruses of the enterovirus A species. Emerging Microbes and Infections, 2018 Jun 21;7(1):111. doi: 10.1038/s41426-018-0107-0.
155. Gong YN, RL Kuo, Chen GW, *Shih SR. Centennial review of influenza in Taiwan, Biomedical Journal, 2018 Aug;41(4):234-241. doi: 10.1016/j.bj.2018.08.002. Epub 2018 Sep 10.
156. Yeung ML, Jia L, Yip CC, Chan JF, Teng JL, Chan KH, Cai JP, Zhang C, Zhang AJ, Wong WM, Kok KH, Lau SK, Woo PC, Lo JY, Jin DY, Shih SR, Yuen KY. Human tryptophanyl-tRNA synthetase is an IFN-γ-inducible entry factor for Enterovirus. J Clin Invest. 2018 Nov 1;128(11):5163-5177. doi: 10.1172/JCI99411. Epub 2018 Oct 15.
157. Woodman A, Lee KM, Janissen R, Gong YN, Dekker N, Shih SR, Cameron CE. Predicting Intraserotypic Recombination in Enterovirus 71. J Virol. 2018 Nov 28. pii: JVI.02057-18. doi: 10.1128/JVI.02057-18. [Epub ahead of print]
158. Kuo RL, Chen CJ, Wang RYL, Huang HI, Lin YH, Tam EH, Tu WJ, Wu SE, Shih SR. Role of enteroviral RNA-dependent RNA polymerase in regulation of MDA5-mediated interferon-β activation. J Virol. 2019 Feb 27. pii: JVI.00132-19. doi: 10.1128/JVI.00132-19. [Epub ahead of print]
160. Gong YN, Tsao KC, Chen GW, Wu CJ, Chen YH, Liu YC, Yang SL, Huang YC, Shih SR. Population dynamics at neuraminidase position 151 of influenza A (H1N1)pdm09 virus in clinical specimens. J Gen Virol. 2019 May;100(5):752-759. doi: 10.1099/jgv.0.001258. Epub 2019 Apr 17.
161. Huang SY, Huang CH, Chen CJ, Chen TW, Lin CY, Lin YT, Kuo, SM, Huang CG, Lee LA, Chen YH, Chen MF, Kuo RL and *Shih SR. Novel role of miR-1290 in host species specificity of influenza A virus. Mol Ther Nucleic Acids. 2019 May 15;17:10-23. doi: 10.1016/j.omtn.2019.04.028. [Epub ahead of print]
162. Lin RW, Chen GW, Sung HH, Lin RJ, Yen LC, Tseng YL, Chang YK, Lien SP, Shih SR, Liao CL. Naturally occurring mutations in PB1 affect influenza A virus replication fidelity, virulence, and adaptability. J Biomed Sci.2019 Jul 31;26(1):55. doi: 10.1186/s12929-019-0547-4.
163. Li ML, Lin JY, Chen BS, Weng KF, Shih SR, Calderon JD, Tolbert BS, Brewer G.EV71 3C protease induces apoptosis by cleavage of hnRNP A1 to promote apaf-1 translation. PLoS One. 2019 Sep 9;14(9):e0221048. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0221048. eCollection 2019.
164. Lee KM, Gong YN, Shih SR.Methods for detection and study of virus-derived small RNAs produced from the intramolecular base-pairing region of the picornavirus genome.Methods.2019 Sep 4;pii: S1046-2023(19)30192-6. doi: 10.1016/j.ymeth.2019.08.011. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
165. Ho SY, Chiu CH, Huang YC, Chen CJ, Lien R, Chu SM, Huang CG, Tsao KC, Shih SR, Hsu JF. Investigation and successful control of an echovirus 11 outbreak in neonatal intensive care units.Pediatr Neonatol.Oct 4, pii: S1875-9572(19)30521-2. doi: 10.1016/j.pedneo.2019.09.012. [Epub ahead of print]
166. Hung SJ, Hsu YM, Huang SW, Tsai HP, Lee LYY, Hurt AC, Barr IG, Shih SR, Wang JR. Genetic variations on 31 and 450 residues of influenza A nucleoprotein affect viral replication and translation. J Biomed Sci. Jan 6, 27(1):17. doi: 10.1186/s12929-019-0612-z.
167. Lee KM, Wu CC, Wu SE, Lin YH, Wang LT, Chang CR, Huang PN, Shih SR, Kuo RL. The RNA-dependent RNA polymerase of enterovirus A71 associates with ribosomal proteins and positively regulates protein translation. RNA Biol. 2020 Feb 6:1-15. doi: 10.1080/15476286.2020.1722448. [Epub ahead of print]
168. Chen BS, Lee HC, Lee KM, Gong YN, Shih SR. Enterovirus and Encephalitis. Front Microbiol. Feb 20, 11:261. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2020.00261. eCollection 2020. Review.
169. Huang PN, Wang HC, Hung HC, Tseng SN, Chang TY, Chou MY, Chen YJ, Wang YM, Shih SR, Hsu JT. Antiviral activity of llama-inspired single domain antibody against Enterovirus A71. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. Mar 9, pii: AAC.01922-19. doi: 10.1128/AAC.01922-19. [Epub ahead of print].
170. Huang HI, Lin JY, Chiang HC, Huang PN, Lin QD, Shih SR. Exosomes facilitate transmission of Enterovirus A71 from human intestinal epithelial cells. J Infect Dis. Apr 9, pii: jiaa174. doi: 10.1093/infdis/jiaa174. [Epub ahead of print].
171. Liu YC, Kuo RL, Shih SR. COVID-19: the First Documented Coronavirus Pandemic in History. Biomed J. pii: S2319-4170(20)30044-5. doi: 10.1016/j.bj.2020.04.007. [Epub ahead of print]
172. Chung-Guei Huang, Kuo-Ming Lee, Mei-Jen Hsiao, Shu-Li Yang, Peng-Nien Huang, Yu-Nong Gong, Tzu-Hsuan Hsieh, Po-Wei Huang, Ya-Jhu Lin, Yi-Chun Liu, Kuo-Chien Tsao, Shin-Ru Shih. Culture-based Virus Isolation to Evaluate Potential Infectivity of Clinical Specimens Tested for COVID-19. J Clin Microbiol. JCM.01068-20. doi: 10.1128/JCM.01068-20. Online ahead of print.
173. Gong YN, Tsao KC, Hsiao MJ, Huang CG, Huang PN, Huang PW, Lee KM, Liu YC, Yang SL, Kuo RL, Chen KF, Liu YC, Huang SY, Huang HI, Liu MT, Yang JR, Chiu CH, Yang CT, Chen GW, Shih SR. SARS-CoV-2 Genomic Surveillance in Taiwan Revealed Novel ORF8-deletion Mutant and Clade Possibly Associated With Infections in Middle East. Emerg Microbes Infect. 1-37. doi: 10.1080/22221751.2020.1782271. [Epub ahead of print]
174. Lin RJ, Huang CH, Liu PC, Lin IC, Huang YL, Chen AY, Chiu HP, Shih SR, Lin LH, Lien SP, Yen LC, Liao CL. Zinc Finger Protein ZFP36L1 Inhibits Influenza A Virus Through Translational Repression by Targeting HA, M and NS RNA Transcripts. Nucleic Acids Res. pii: gkaa458. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkaa458. [Epub ahead of print].
175. Peltola V, Shih SR, To KK. Editorial: Respiratory Virus Infection: Recent Advances. Front Med (Lausanne).7:257. doi: 10.3389/fmed.2020.00257. eCollection 2020. No abstract available.
176. Hung HC, Ke YY, Huang SY, Huang PN, Kung YA, Chang TY, Yen KJ, Peng TT, Chang SE, Huang CT, Tsai YR, Wu SH, Lee SJ, Lin JH, Liu BS, Sung WC, Shih SR, Chen CT, Hsu JT. Discovery of M Protease inhibitors encoded by SARS-CoV-2. Antimicrob Agents Chemother.pii: AAC.00872-20. doi: 10.1128/AAC.00872-20. [Epub ahead of print].
177. Zhou D, Duyvesteyn HME, Chen CP, Huang CG, Chen TH, Shih SR, Lin YC, Cheng CY, Cheng SH, Huang YC, Lin TY, Ma C, Huo J, Carrique L, Malinauskas T, Ruza RR, Shah PNM, Tan TK, Rijal P, Donat RF, Godwin K, Buttigieg KR, Tree JA, Radecke J, Paterson NG, Supasa P, Mongkolsapaya J, Screaton GR, Carroll MW, Gilbert-Jaramillo J, Knight ML, James W, Owens RJ, Naismith JH, Townsend AR, Fry EE, Zhao Y, Ren J, Stuart DI, Huang KA. Structural basis for the neutralization of SARS-CoV-2 by an antibody from a convalescent patient. Nat Struct Mol Biol. doi: 10.1038/s41594-020-0480-y. Online ahead of print. PMID: 32737466
178. Huang KA, Huang PN, Huang Y, Yang SL, Tsao KC, Chiu CH, Shih SR, Lin TY. Emergence of genotype C1 Enterovirus A71 and its link with antigenic variation of virus in Taiwan. PLoS Pathog. 16(9):e1008857. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1008857. Online ahead of print. PMID: 32936838 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.ppat.1008857
179. Huang CG, Lee LA, Fang TJ, Li HY, Liao CT, Kang CJ, Yen TC, Tsao KC, Chen TC, Shih SR. Human papillomavirus infection is not associated with laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma in Taiwan. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 53(1):79-86. doi: 10.1016/j.jmii.2018.02.002. Epub 2018 Feb 21. PMID: 29500045
180. Wang HC, Huang PN, Hung HC, Tseng SN, Chang CC, Tsai YR, Wang YM, Shih SR, Hsu JT. Effect of a Neuropilin-1-Derived Virus Receptor Trap on Enterovirus A71 infection in vitro. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. AAC.00695-20. doi: 10.1128/AAC.00695-20. Online ahead of print.PMID: 33139286
181. Li ML, Chen BS, Shih SR. Editorial: Viral Encephalitis. Front Microbiol. 11:599257. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2020.599257. eCollection 2020.
182. Kuo RL, Chen YT, Li HA, Wu CC, Chiang HC, Lin JY, Huang HI, Shih SR, Chin-Ming Tan B. Molecular determinants and heterogeneity underlying host response to EV-A71 infection at single-cell resolution. RNA Biol. doi: 10.1080/15476286.2021.1872976. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33406999
183. Huang KA, Tan TK, Chen TH, Huang CG, Harvey R, Hussain S, Chen CP, Harding A, Gilbert-Jaramillo J, Liu X, Knight M, Schimanski L, Shih SR, Lin YC, Cheng CY, Cheng SH, Huang YC, Lin TY, Jan JT, Ma C, James W, Daniels RS, McCauley JW, Rijal P, Townsend AR. Breadth and function of antibody response to acute SARS-CoV-2 infection in humans. PLoS Pathog. 17(2):e1009352. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1009352. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33635919.
184. Huang SY, Kung YA, Huang PN, Chang SY, Gong YN, Han YJ, Chiang HJ, Liu KT, Lee KM, Chang CY, Chang CC, Huang CG, Shih SR. Stability of SARS-CoV-2 Spike G614 Variant Surpasses That of the D614 Variant after Cold Storage. mSphere.6(2):e00104-21. doi: 10.1128/mSphere.00104-21. PMID: 33789940
185. Kiew LV, Chang CY, Huang SY, Wang PW, Heh CH, Liu CT, Cheng CH, Lu YX, Chen YC, Huang YX, Chang SY, Tsai HY, Kung YA, Huang PN, Hsu MH, Leo BF, Foo YY, Su CH, Hsu KC, Huang PH, Ng CJ, Kamarulzaman A, Yuan CJ, Shieh DB, Shih SR, Chung LY, Chang CC. Development of flexible electrochemical impedance spectroscopy-based biosensing platform for rapid screening of SARS-CoV-2 inhibitors. Biosens Bioelectron.183:113213. doi: 10.1016/j.bios.2021.113213. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33857754
186. Mwale PF, Lee CH, Huang PN, Tseng SN, Shih SR, Huang HY, Leu SJ, Huang YJ, Chiang LC, Mao YC, Wang WC, Yang YY. In Vitro Characterization of Neutralizing Hen Antibodies to Coxsackievirus A16. Int J Mol Sci.22(8):4146. doi: 10.3390/ijms22084146. PMID: 33923724
187. Lee KM, Wu CC, Wu SE, Lin YH, Wang LT, Chang CR, Huang PN, Shih SR, Kuo RL. The RNA-dependent RNA polymerase of enterovirus A71 associates with ribosomal proteins and positively regulates protein translation. RNA Biol.17(4):608-622. doi: 10.1080/15476286.2020.1722448. Epub 2020 Feb 6. PMID: 32009553
188. Chung-Guei Huang, Avijit Dutta, Ching-Tai Huang, Pi-Yueh Chang, Mei-Jen Hsiao, Yu-Chia Hsieh, Shu-Min Lin, Shin-Ru Shih, Kuo-Chien Tsao, Cheng-Ta Yang * Relative COVID-19 viral persistence and antibody kinetics. Pathogens. 10(6):752. doi: 10.3390/pathogens10060752. PMID: 34199240
189. Hsieh SM, Liu WD, Huang YS, Lin YJ, Hsieh EF, Lian WC, Chen C, Janssen R, Shih SR, Huang CG, Tai IC, Chang SC. Safety and immunogenicity of a Recombinant Stabilized Prefusion SARS-CoV-2 Spike Protein Vaccine (MVC-COV1901) Adjuvanted with CpG 1018 and Aluminum Hydroxide in healthy adults: A Phase 1, dose-escalation study. EClinicalMedicine. 100989. doi: 10.1016/j.eclinm.2021.100989. Online ahead of print. PMID: 34222848
190. Liu YC, Mok BW, Wang P, Kuo RL, Chen H, Shih SR. Cellular 5'-3' mRNA Exoribonuclease XRN1 Inhibits Interferon Beta Activation and Facilitates Influenza A Virus Replication. mBio. e0094521. doi: 10.1128/mBio.00945-21. Online ahead of print.PMID: 34311580
191. Lin JY, Weng KF, Chang CK, Gong YN, Huang GJ, Lee HL, Chen YC, Huang CC, Lu JY, Huang PN, Chiang HJ, Chen CM, Shih SR. Enterovirus A71 Induces Neurological Diseases and Dynamic Variants in Oral Infection of Human SCARB2-Transgenic Weaned Mice. J Virol. JVI0089721. doi: 10.1128/JVI.00897-21. Online ahead of print. PMID: 34379497
192. Chen YC, Kung YA, Janapatla RP, Hsu MH, Lien R, Chen JC, Shih SR, Chiu CH. Neutralization antibody titers against SARS-CoV-2 in an infant born to a mother with COVID-19. Pediatr Neonatol. S1875-9572(21)00170-4. doi: 10.1016/j.pedneo.2021.07.007. Online ahead of print.PMID: 34580045
193. Janissen R, Woodman A, Shengjuler D, Vallet T, Lee KM, Kuijpers L, Moustafa IM, Fitzgerald F, Huang PN, Perkins AL, Harki DA, Arnold JJ, Solano B, Shih SR, Vignuzzi M, Cameron CE, Dekker NH. Induced intra- and intermolecular template switching as a therapeutic mechanism against RNA viruses. Mol Cell.S1097-2765(21)00832-7. doi: 10.1016/j.molcel.2021.10.003. Online ahead of print. PMID: 34687604
194. Kung YA, Chiang HJ, Li ML, Gong YN, Chiu HP, Hung CT, Huang PN, Huang SY, Wang PY, Hsu TA, Brewer G, Shih SR. Acyl-Coenzyme A Synthetase Long-Chain Family Member 4 Is Involved in Viral Replication Organelle Formation and Facilitates Virus Replication via Ferroptosis. mBio. e0271721. doi: 10.1128/mbio.02717-21. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35038927
195. Chen CY, Liu KT, Shih SR, Ye JJ, Chen YT, Pan HC, Hsu HJ, Sun CY, Lee CC, Wu CY, Lai CC, Wu IW. Neutralization Assessments Reveal High Cardiothoracic Ratio and Old Age as Independent Predictors of Low Neutralizing Antibody Titers in Hemodialysis Patients Receiving a Single Dose of COVID-19 Vaccine. J Pers Med. 12(1):68. doi: 10.3390/jpm12010068. PMID: 35055386
196. Liu KT, Gong YN, Huang CG, Huang PN, Yu KY, Lee HC, Lee SC, Chiang HJ, Kung YA, Lin YT, Hsiao MJ, Huang PW, Huang SY, Wu HT, Wu CC, Kuo RL, Chen KF, Hung CT, Oguntuyo KY, Stevens CS, Kowdle S, Chiu HP, Lee B, Chen GW, Shih SR. Quantifying Neutralizing Antibodies in Patients with COVID-19 by a Two-Variable Generalized Additive Model. mSphere.e0088321. doi: 10.1128/msphere.00883-21. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35107336
197. Hsieh SM, Chang SC, Cheng HY, Shih SR, Lien CE. Durability and Immunogenicity of Neutralizing Antibodies Response Against Omicron Variants After Three Doses of Subunit SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine MVC-COV1901: An Extension to an Open-Label, Dose-Escalation Phase 1 Study. Infect Dis Ther. 1-12. doi: 10.1007/s40121-022-00652-6. Online ahead of print.PMID: 35579840
198. Chen CP, Huang KA, Shih SR, Lin YC, Cheng CY, Huang YC, Lin TY, Cheng SH. Anti-Spike Antibody Response to Natural Infection with SARS-CoV-2 and Its Activity against Emerging Variants. Microbiol Spectr. 15:e0074322. doi: 10.1128/spectrum.00743-22. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35703556
199. Kung YA, Lee KM, Chiang HJ, Huang SY, Wu CJ, Shih SR. Molecular Virology of SARS-CoV-2 and Related Coronaviruses. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev. 86(2):e0002621. doi: 10.1128/mmbr.00026-21. Epub 2022 Mar 28.PMID: 35343760
200. Chiu YF, Huang YW, Chen CY, Chen YC, Gong YN, Kuo RL, Huang CG, Shih SR. Visualizing Influenza A Virus vRNA Replication. Front Microbiol. 13:812711. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2022.812711. eCollection 2022.PMID: 35733972
201. Chen CY, Liu KT, Shih SR, Ye JJ, Chen YT, Hsu CK, Pan HC, Hsu HJ, Sun CY, Lee CC, Wu CY, Lai CC, Wu IW. Adequacy of Hemodialysis Serves as an Independent Predictor of Humoral Response to ChAdOx1 Prime-Boost Vaccination in Hemodialysis Patients. Viruses. 14(6):1149. doi: 10.3390/v14061149.
202. Wang PJ, Pang YH, Huang SY, Fang JT, Chang SY, Shih SR, Huang TW, Chen YJ, Sun CK. Microwave resonant absorption of SARS-CoV-2 viruses. Sci Rep.Jul 22 12(1):12596. doi: 10.1038/s41598-022-16845-5. PMID: 35869163
203. Chen CP, Huang KA, Shih SR, Lin YC, Cheng CY, Huang YC, Lin TY, Cheng SH. Anti-Spike Antibody Response to Natural Infection with SARS-CoV-2 and Its Activity against Emerging Variants. Microbiol Spectr. 10(4):e0074322. doi: 10.1128/spectrum.00743-22. Epub 2022 Jun 15. PMID: 35703556
204. Kung YA, Huang SY, Huang CG, Liu KT, Huang PN, Yu KY, Yang SL, Chen CP, Cheng CY, Lee IK, Lin SM, Chang HP, Lin YT, Liu YC, Chen GW, Shih SR. Factors influencing neutralizing antibody titers elicited by coronavirus disease 2019 vaccines. Microbes Infect. 9:105044. doi: 10.1016/j.micinf.2022.105044. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36096357
205. Chen CJ, Yang LY, Chang WY, Huang YC, Chiu CH, Shih SR, Huang CG, Huang KA. A randomized controlled trial of heterologous ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 and recombinant subunit vaccine MVC-COV1901 against COVID-19. Nat Commun. 13(1):5466. doi: 10.1038/s41467-022-33146-7. PMID: 36115850
206. Lee CH, Huang PN, Mwale PF, Wang WC, Leu SJ, Tseng SN, Shih SR, Chiang LC, Mao YC, Tsai BY, Dlamini NB, Nguyen TC, Tsai CH, Yang YY. The Bottlenecks of Preparing Virus Particles by Size Exclusion for Antibody Generation. Int J Mol Sci. 23(21):12967. doi: 10.3390/ijms232112967.PMID: 36361757
207. Chuang CH, Huang CG, Huang CT, Chen YC, Kung YA, Chen CJ, Chuang TC, Liu CC, Huang PW, Yang SL, Gu PW, Shih SR, Chiu CH. Titers and breadth of neutralizing antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 variants after heterologous booster vaccination in health care workers primed with two doses of ChAdOx1 nCov-19: A single-blinded, randomized clinical trial. J Clin Virol.doi: 10.1016/j.jcv.2022.105328. Epub 2022 Nov 12.PMID: 36399969
208. Chen W, Chen YH, Liao YC, Huang XW, Lu TJ, Shih SR. Effect of hot water extracts of Arthrospira maxima (spirulina) against respiratory syncytial virus. PHYTOMEDICINE.110:154611. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2022.154611. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36580819
209. Kung YA, Huang SY, Huang CG, Liu KT, Huang PN, Yu KY, Yang SL, Chen CP, Cheng CY, Lee IK, Lin SM, Chang HP, Lin YT, Liu YC, Chen GW, Shih SR. Factors influencing neutralizing antibody titers elicited by coronavirus disease 2019 vaccines. Microbes Infect. 9:105044. doi: 10.1016/j.micinf.2022.105044. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36096357
210. Wu GH, Lee KM, Kao CY, Shih SR. The internal ribosome entry site determines the neurotropic potential of enterovirus A71. MICROBES AND INFECTION 105107. doi: 10.1016/j.micinf.2023.105107. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36708870
LY Chang, Shih SR, LM Huang and ZY Lin. Enterovirus 71 Encephalitis. In ”New and Evolving Infections of the 21st Century (Springer-NY). p295-395, 2006.
1. Shia KS, Li WT, Chang CM, Hsu MC, Chern JH, Shih SR “Imidazolidinone Compounds” US Patent granted, 2002 (US6706739).
2. Chern JH, Chang CS, Lee CC, Lee YC, Tai CL, Chen CT, Shih SR “Imidazolidinone Compounds” US Patent granted, 2003 (US7129359). JH Chern,
3. Chern JH, Shia KS, Shih SR, Hsu TA, Tai CL “Anti-enterovirus Compounds” US Patent granted, 2003 (US 6815444).
4. Shia KS, Li WT, Chang CM, Hsu MC, Chern JH, Shih SR “咪唑啉酮化合物” 中華民國專利, 2004 (發明第 I 203254 號).
5. ChernJH, Lee CC, Chang CS, Lee YC, and Shih SR “Imidazolidinoe Compounds” US Patent granted, 2005 (US20050267164 A1).
6. Chern JH, Shia KS, Shih SR, Hsu TA, Tai CL “抗腸病毒化合物” 中華民國專利, 2006 (發明第 I 259083 號).
7. Chern JH, Chang CS, Lee CC, Lee YC, Tai CL, Chen CT and Shih SR “咪唑啉酮化合物” 中華民國專利, 2007 (發明第 I 281919 號).
8. Chern JH, Lee CC, Chang CS, Lee YC, and Shih SR “Imidazolidinoe Compounds” US Patent granted, 2007 (US20070049623 A1)
9. Wu TY, Hsu TA, Lee JC and Shih SR “Use of biscistronic DNA constructs for identifying compounds that inhibit IRES-dependent translation. US Patent granted, 2007 (US200707262051)
10. Chiuh CC, Shih SR Pharmaceuticalcomposition for inhibiting influenza virus infection and reproduction (萃取可抑制流行性感冒病毒感染及複製的醫藥組合物之方法)中華民國專利, 2007 (發明第 I 272947 號).
11. Hsieh HP, Hsu TA, Yeh YJ, Horng JT, Shih SR, Chang SY and Chao YS “Coumarin Compounds and their use for treating viral infection” US Patent granted, 2009 (US20090312406A1)
12. Chiuh CC, Shih SR, Chang SF, Chen YH, Hu IC, Composition of algal extracts for preventing and treating the Enterovirus and Respiratory syncytial virus, US Patent pending, 中國 CN102462702 B, 2015可抑制流感病毒血球凝集素的药物组合物及其制备方法.
13.Weng KF Shih SR “vsRNA1 for inhibiting EV71 virus replication” (研發成果編號：104HFD, I590828)
14. Huang SY, Chen CJ, Shih SR “Methods of treating influenza A” US Patent granted, 2017 (US9556436B2)
15. Lin LT, Hsieh EF, Chang CK, Huang SY, Shih SR “hSLU7 transgenic cells for promoting influenza virus replication” 中華民國專利, 2019 (發明第 I 640628號).
1. 施信如. 流行性感冒病毒. 長庚病理通訊16卷5期. October, 1997
2. 施信如. 腸病毒－基礎研究、檢驗試劑及抗病毒藥物之研發. 國科會生命科學簡訊 (Life Sciences Newsletter, NSC). 2002.
3. MH Lin, DTY Chiu, Shih SR, YP Chou, WS Shen, and CR Shen. Performance of PBL in Medical Technology Education. PBL In Action, 1: 5-6. 2003.
4. 施信如. 禽流感－自然界的反撲. 長庚醫訊25卷3期. 醫療時論. March, 2004
5. 施信如. 腸病毒71型蛋白酶對宿主細胞蛋白質之切割.中華民國科學技術年鑑(98年版)----國科會生物處
6. 施信如. 流感病毒的前世今生. 科學月刊. June, 2009.